Sunday, November 20, 2011

wreath on the cheap

I have been looking at wreaths in all the holiday circulars lately, and very nearly bought this one on sale at Target for $20. . .but missed the sale, drat! This particular wreath was $25 regular price, which I probably would have paid if I hadn't stumbled upon the 50% off Christmas floral sale at Hobby Lobby last week.

I started out looking at Hobby Lobby's pre-decorated wreaths, but couldn't find one I really liked. Next, I went down the aisle filled with pinecones, glittery branches, festive berry sprigs and more that are meant for decorating your own garland and wreaths. I was sold on making my own after this!

I got a plain wreath with bendy pine twigs like on an artificial tree, some red berry sprigs, a pretty gold bow, and some flamboyantly glittered pine needley things. The bow was a little pricey, but I didn't really want to buy a whole roll of wide, wired gold ribbon that I would only use for one bow. (Plus I didn't want to make the bow. . . I had enough of this in 2008 for our wedding :) I love the look of red berries in Christmas decor, and got the gold glittery things to tie in the color of the bow.

Here is the breakdown on prices. . .

plain wreath $9.99
fancy gold bow $5.99
3 red berry twigs @ $1.27 ea- $3.81
2 gold glitter pine sprigs @ $2.27 ea- $4.54

TOTAL- $24.33
after 50% discount for Christmas floral sale- $12.17!!!

My mom helped me place the 3 berry twigs in a clockwise spiral, following the direction of the wreath needles, with the bow centered on top. I cut the glittery pine sprigs into individual, err, needle bunches, and dispersed them evenly over the whole wreath. We used floral wire to secure everything to the metal wreath frame, and ta-da!


Pretty good for $12, dontcha think? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment