Thursday, November 17, 2011

runnin' fools

You may be wondering, "Did Robin fall off the 5K bandwagon? She hasn't posted anything about running in over a month." NOPE! I didn't fall off the wagon completely. . . but you might say I'm being dragged behind it :) I was doing pretty well with my 3 workouts a week until I got a bad case of food poisoning or some nasty stomach bug. This set me back quite a bit and it took a few weeks to get my motivation back up! Now I'm fast-forwarding through the last few weeks of the Couch to 5K plan since the race is the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

It helps to have a training buddy to be accountable to. I was over at my mom's house on Wednesday afternoon and we both grudgingly agreed that we needed to run, so that night before dinner, Palmer got packed into the stroller with a big ol' blanket and off we went! It was our toughest workout so far, 10 minute jog, 3 minute walk, 10 minute jog. (Don't laugh at us if you're a runner :) I definitely wouldn't have gone by myself at home that night. It's a lot more fun with someone else!

The nice thing about this Couch to 5K plan is how well it builds you up to the next level. Even though it was the first time for us to do this particular workout, we were able to finish it semi-easily. I can't believe we were losing our breath running 90 second bursts the first week! Next we'll do a 20 minute jog, then 22, 25, and probably the race after that! (The actual plan ends with 28 & 30 minute jogs, but we are perpetually behind since we didn't have 9 weeks before the race.)

We have no goal time since this is both of our first 5K in years! We're just glad to be getting in better shape and will be proud to finish :) Hope it isn't too cold that morning. . . eek!

2 comments:

  1. Robin, do you use a jogging stroller for Palmer? I use the same Couch to 5K program but I have started it at least 5 times and only made it to the 10th lesson on my best run. I've been looking for a running buddy since we moved here but it's hard because most of the runners I know are really good and I am really... bad. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually prefer my normal Graco stroller to the jogging one we have. It's easier to maneuver and Palmer can sit up straighter than in the other. Haha, I'm about as slow as a runner gets! We should go to Towne Lake and run together sometime before it gets super cold.

    ReplyDelete