Tuesday, November 29, 2011

thanksgiving & beyond

We had such a wonderful turkey day with family! The food was yummy and plentiful. I roasted a turkey with no lid for the first time, and I think it turned out great! I rubbed it with an herb butter made with our own parsley and thyme, plus store bought rosemary and sage. I basted with warm chicken stock from the stovetop every 20 minutes or so and got a beautiful golden brown color. Check it out!

I did tent the turkey with foil once it got brown so it didn't get too dark on the very top. Nate and Tyler did the carving so we didn't have to pull it apart with our hands :)

Let me say I don't know how Thanksgiving dinner gets finished without double ovens. I guess everything just has to wait its turn! It was nice being able to have two free ovens while the turkey rested since dinner rolls, mashed potatoes, and stuffing need different baking temperatures. Other sides we gobbled up included salad with avocado and gorgonzola, green bean casserole, creamy corn with green chilies, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce, and probably more that I'm forgetting!

My mom brought 5 pies, (pecan, apple, cherry, chocolate, and pumpkin), and Tyler's mom brought a caramel pie, so we had plenty of dessert! During coffee and pie after lunch, we engaged in a few rounds of Mexican Train dominoes, and since we didn't keep score I can claim victory, right :) ? My mom took a bunch of family photos, so head to facebook if you want to see more!
Sweet Palmer was very happy all day with lots of hustle and bustle around him. He is a people watcher, so 10 extra folks at the house was a treat! Palmer ate the Turkey Dinner flavor of Earth's Best baby food for lunch, so he was in on the flavors of the day. I may or may not have given him some melted Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla later in the afternoon. . . what the heck, it's the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment