Tuesday, February 1, 2011

labor and delivery part I

In case you weren't in the loop with the twitter updates, or if you want more details, here is the story of Palmer's birthday!

We got to the hospital at 7 and were in our room, I was changed into a lovely hospital gown, and got hooked up to an IV pretty much right away! I can't remember ever having an IV before (maybe when I got my wisdom teeth out?), and I wasn't too excited about it. She put it just on the inside of my left wrist instead of the top of my hand which was nice and after a half hour or so I didn't even notice it anymore. After answering a LOT of health questions she started the pitocin drip. Dr. Michelsen came in not long after that to measure me and break my bag of water. Let me tell you, that was a weird sensation. . . but I won't go into too much detail.


Tyler and I played words with friends and listened to some George Strait on the iHome as my contractions started to get stronger. I had a couple grape popsicles which were delicious after not being able to eat or drink after midnight the night before. Eventually I became uninterested in the words with friends game as my contractions got stronger. They were painful, but if I just focused and breathed I could make it through. Our nurse shared with us that all of them at the nurses' station were just marveling at how long my contractions were! GREAT.

The long contractions were bearable when I was getting a minute or two of rest in between, but as she raised my pitocin dose about every 20 minutes I got less and less of a break. Some contractions were coming in pairs or triplets without letting up and it was pretty rough to say the least. I made it about 3 1/2 hours without the epidural and looking back I'm surprised I lasted that long! It was kind of a blur once they started really hurting. Alright, I've got to go feed a crying baby, so part II will come later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment