Wednesday, August 1, 2012

even better than they sound

I think I've found the best 100% whole grain cookie out there!  I wanted to make a healthy-ish dessert type snack for the babies to eat the other day at my house while the adults had fudge and other goodies.  Oatmeal cookies came to mind, but the recipe I had called for all purpose flour.  I've had some wheat flour in the pantry for a while now and decided to go to the Gold Medal website to find something to make with it.  Lucky me- they had an oatmeal cookie recipe!  (With raisins, actually, but I ignored that.)  Usually when I bake things with wheat flour they taste, well, too wheaty.  These were AWESOME!  You get the whole grains from the oatmeal and the wheat- a double whammy!  Please make these- you won't have to feel so guilty for having cookies with your coffee for breakfast :)

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 C sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 C butter, softened
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 C oatmeal
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Stir together sugars, butter, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, and eggs one at a time, mixing well.  Stir in oats and flour.


Bake on ungreased cookie sheets 9-11 minutes (tablespoonful size cookies) or until light brown around lower edges.  Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets, remove to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment