Wednesday, July 7, 2010

11 1/2 weeks

Here we are in July- almost done with the first trimester and had another doctors appointment again this morning! This time I turned in a bunch of paperwork, medical history, consent forms and that kind of thing at the beginning of the appointment. Then a girl who is working under Dr. Michelsen as a PA-in-training came in to try to find the heartbeat using the doppler.

We didn't have this done at the last appointment because it was too early so I was excited to be able to hear it after seeing it in June. The PA let us know that it's VERY common to not be able to find the heartbeat this early on since the baby is still very small at 1 1/2 inches (or the size of a fig according to babycenter). It's still a little nerve wracking though as they move the doppler around and around and around without hearing anything, but she assured us they only find it this early about 50% of the time.

Luckily our doctor came in and after a minute of searching was able to find the little heartbeat! Tyler and I both got to hear it, (about 160 bpm if you're interested- compared to my 60 bpm!). She said they'll use the doppler every time to check on the baby since they won't do an ultrasound at each visit. Next was blood work- not too exciting.

I've been feeling pretty good lately- not much nausea since the 8th or 9th week when I was on APPA and feeling kind of crummy. I am sooo sleepy though! I can't get enough naps which works out well since it's summer time :)

I'll have a quick routine appointment in early August, and then in early September we'll get to find out if it's a boy or girl! That will be my next scheduled sonogram. It will be hard to wait 8 weeks, but the anticipation is fun too.

(FYI: Not very many people know yet that we're having a baby so I'm just discreetly updating my blog but took the URL off of my facebook page. I'll put it back up when we want everyone to know and my posts will already be done! Look at me planning ahead.)

No comments:

Post a Comment