Sunday, March 4, 2012

fall baby

Well, I guess with a September birthday, you would probably be considered a summer baby in Texas! Our newest little one is due September 23rd and I am anxiously awaiting early May when we'll find out boy or girl. I had my first prenatal doctor visit last Wednesday at 10 1/2 weeks. We are using Allen Birthing Center, which I had toured a few weeks ago, but Tyler got to see it for the first time at the appointment. It is run by three super nice and experienced CNM's (certified nurse midwives), plus a finance lady and birth assistant who are also very kind and helpful.

I liked my OB from my last pregnancy, but the hospital birth seemed like overkill to me since everything about my pregnancy and birth was so textbook and uncomplicated. Think about it- if you had an uncomplicated vaginal birth, how much did you really need that professional surgeon OB? Obstetricians are certainly necessary for emergency situations and C-sections, but I feel like a CNM is perfect for a normal pregnancy. Besides free standing birth centers, some hospitals also staff CNM's for low risk patients. Of course, Allen Birthing Center has all the necessary emergency & resuscitation equipment if things go badly, but they do not hesitate to transfer you to Allen Presby across the street if needed.

I had toyed with the idea of a natural birth the first time around but hadn't done any serious preparation. This time I know for sure there won't be an epidural (they don't offer that at the birth center!) so I am doing more reading and research already. I'm confident it will go well and be a great experience! The women at ABC are so warm and supportive, you can't help but feel the good vibes. There are so many things that I like about it. It's a very relaxed atmosphere being in an old Victorian house with a parlor for a waiting room, and cushy armchairs that you sit in until you actually NEED to sit on the paper covered exam table. They have a play area in each spacious exam room so I can bring Palmer, plop him down in the corner, and let him play through the whole appointment!

Sweet, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment