Tuesday, February 21, 2012

a corner turned

HALLELUJAH! Palmer ate something besides baby food, Cheerios, and Gerber cookies! Lately I have been having a tough time convincing him of what the doctor told me, that he should be getting most of his non-milk calories from self-feeding finger foods. HA! Palmer just happens to love being fed baby food by the spoonful, and just happens to HATE picking up anything besides crunchy snacks with his fingers.

We've tried cooked peas, carrots, potatoes, pieces of banana, and blueberries to no avail. There was a short phase in which he would eat meat in the form of sausage, meatballs, and meatloaf but that was hit or miss. The boy has always loved crackers, cookies, bread, and pizza, but apparently kids need nutrition to grow. (?) When it was time for our vacation to Hawaii, I was getting a little frustrated, and tired of all the rejected mushy food cubes I was picking up off the floor around the high chair. I decided to give Palmer what he truly wanted on vacation- good old pureed baby food.

Ready to get back to work on our solid food-therapy, I've reintroduced a couple foods with little success. Mostly yucky faces and splats on the floor. Imagine my surprise yesterday, when I offered him some of my scrambled eggs (with green onion and cheese), and he picked it up! Then he put it in his mouth and didn't spit it out. Woah! Of course he enjoyed a little toast with his eggs- no surprise there. I ended up scrambling another egg to keep up with the demand!

This turned out not to be a fluke occurrence, since he enthusiastically enjoyed a few blueberries, some baked chicken leg, and a creamy stelline pasta side dish for dinner. Yay, Palmer!!! As we speak, he is mangling an innocent banana- but some of it is making it into his mouth :)

No comments:

Post a Comment