Sunday, October 16, 2011

couch to 5K

My mom and I decided to run the Believe! McKinney 5K the Saturday after Thanksgiving as a motivator to start exercising more, and so far it's working! Some of you may have heard of the training program Couch-to-5K- it's meant to get you from lazy couch potato to running a 5K in two months. Since we didn't make this decision until 7 weeks before race day, and the Couch program is 9 weeks, we're on a bit of an accelerated calendar, but I think it will work out just fine!


I haven't run in a long time, but I think I remember something about it from off-season training in HS swimming. . . oh yeah. . .it's HARD. Luckily, this running plan starts you out slowly. Last week assigned us to alternate 90 seconds of jogging with 2 minutes of walking for 20 minutes. Every week has three workouts and you are supposed to do a brisk 5 minute warm up walk before each. As you might have guessed, each week has less walking and more running
involved! This week is jog 90 sec, walk 90 sec, jog 3 min, walk 3 min. How sad is it that I'm daunted by the 3 minute jogs?? Haha, I hope the designers of this knew what sort of serious couch potatoes they would be dealing with.



Tyler will be showing us up/meeting his potential and running the 10K the same morning. There is also a 1 mile Holiday Walk. (Maybe my mom and I will sneak onto that course if things get rocky ;) I'm looking forward to continuing the process and getting a little more fit. Hopefully my knees can take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment