Monday, August 1, 2011

diaper chat

bumGenius 3.0

This is an older diaper from bumGenius that I got for under $10- woohoo! It was a favorite of many people in the online cloth diaper world, so I thought I would try it out even though it is a sized diaper. This means it comes in sm, med, lg, etc instead of being one-size (OS). Palmer is currently in a medium. Everything else I own is OS since that is more economical, but since this one is out of production I got it at a discount. Sized diapers are generally less bulky that OS's because they don't have the adjustable snap down rise (vertical snaps to change the height of the diaper on baby's tummy).

What's GREAT about the 3.0 is that it is a true all-in-one (AIO) since it already has a soaker sewn inside the pocket. You can just throw this diaper on in a hurry, no stuffing required! I have used it for daytime just like it is, but during naps or nighttime I have added one of my Hemp Babies diaper doublers for extra absorbency. It has a fleecy lining just like the 4.0 that feels dry next to Palmer's skin. Another way this one stands out from the rest of my "stash" (that's what you call it in cloth diaper world) is that it doesn't have snaps! I am testing the waters of aplix hook and loop closures (basically velcro).

The aplix is nice since you aren't limited to the increments that snaps dictate. There are laundry tabs to stick the velcro to while the diaper is open so it can get clean while not attaching itself to everything else in the load. Potential cons of aplix that I have heard (and motivated me to use snaps) are that they wear out, get fuzzy, pilly, curled on the edges, and overall less functional over time. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment